Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket
Tender slices of beef smothered in onions in a sweet tomato sauce give this entrée an old-fashioned feel. It is simple to prepare and delicious comfort food.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Top with onions. Combine the ketchup, water and wine; pour over meat and onions.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice brisket across the grain. Thicken sauce if desired; serve with beef.Freeze option: Place individual portions of sliced brisket in freezer containers; top with cooking sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.