Oatmeal Yeast Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons old-fashioned oats, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring milk, water and shortening to a boil. Meanwhile, combine 2 cups oats, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Add milk mixture; let stand until mixture reaches 110°-115°. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves; transfer to greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Brush with egg; sprinkle with remaining oats. Bake at 350° until golden, 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
Feb 29, 2012
De-lish! AND my kids asked me to make it again! That's a winner in my book. Just one tiny modification - I used 1 Tablespoon yeast (almost 2 pkgs.) with 1/4 tsp sugar and let it proof for 10 minutes. The dough rose nicely for both risings. Thanks for the great recipe!
Oct 3, 2011
This bread gets a 5+ from my family. It's texture and flavor are wonderful. Especially right from the oven. The only problem I've encountered is it does take along time to rise. Much more than the hour mentioned in the recipe. It's worth it. Just plan to make it on a day you will be home and not in a hurry.
Nov 29, 2010
I loved this bread the only thing I did different was to subdstitute 1 cup of oat flour for 1 cup of the plain.We served ours right away with good olive oil and it was wonderful. This will be a very versatile bread you can use for any meal or snack. Loved it.