Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, sugars, salt and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Shape into 18 balls. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 173 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 25, 2020
Been making these for over 20 years. They're fantastic!
Apr 9, 2020
These are absolutely amazing. I had to use approx. 7 cups of flour to get a non sticky, doughy consistency. It madr two pans of 12. These guys fidnt makr it 6 hours. My usually picky girl loved them and requested i make more. That's a win for me. Super soft with a sweet
Feb 23, 2020
A wonderful roll that is a touch of rustic yet still tender and light. My family favorite.
Dec 29, 2019
The oatmeal gives these rolls a different flavor and texture that I liked from the first bite. They are good toasted the next day.
Jun 2, 2018
Nov 17, 2017
Yummy rolls.....I made the dough in my bread machine, and it worked out perfectly! I agree that they're a little large in size - I made ten rolls per pan, but next time will make twelve. Anyway, these are so good....they have a slightly sweet and nutty taste when you bite into one fresh from the oven. I plan on slicing and toasting some for our breakfast.
Mar 30, 2017
Very easy for a bread recipe and very good! I used Old Fashioned Oats as that is all I ever buy. Needed vegan recipes for my son's birthday and never thought I'd find a bread recipe without eggs or dairy. For butter I used Smart Balance Original (no dairy) margarine. I didn't bake quite long enough so some were kind of doughy but even they were good. He took all the leftovers home so I'm making more very soon. This is a keeper!
Jan 24, 2017
We make this recipe at least once a week! I won grand champion at our local fair and have never given it to anyone who doesn't absolutely love it!! I adapted the recipe to make three loaves of bread and we eat one as soon as it is out of the oven. It doesn't make very good sandwiches as it tends to fall apart when spread with mayo or mustard, but it does make fantastic toast. Overall a wonderful recipe that I am teaching to my grandsons/!!
Nov 14, 2016
Made these last night for adult kids for dinner. They are not big bread eaters but thought these were great. I didn't need near all of flour called for. Were very moist and light. This morning I sliced one in thirds horizontally, buttered and grilled the sides, used the top and bottom for scrambled egg sandwich and put a little jelly on the center slice. Very yummy.
Oct 24, 2016
I made these rolls again last night .These are the new family favorites. I live on the East Coast and I use the full amount of flour and maybe even 1/4 cup more, but I also use wheat pastry flour. (Uncle Bob's)