Nutty Apple-Filled Muffins
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 dozen jumbo muffins or 2 dozen regular muffins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Add apples; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Cool.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Spoon 1/4 cupfuls of batter into greased jumbo muffin cups. Spoon apple mixture into the center of each (do not spread). Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-27 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 494 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jun 27, 2013
No comment left
Nov 6, 2011
Now that I think about it though, next time I might reduce the amount of sugar used. They are very sweet, and I think they could do without so much sugar.
Nov 6, 2011
Very good recipe! Works very well!
Oct 14, 2011
These are so moist, my husband raves about them and said it's like apple pie in a muffin. Makes a big batch so I have plenty to give away to family.
Jan 2, 2010
These are fantastic and I have made them many times!