New Orleans Pecan Pie
Although this pie is named for New Orleans, our town is the world's "pecan capital", so it fits us, too! My mama gave me this recipe, and it's my favorite.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in sour cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla. Pour into baked pie shell; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over warm filling; sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.