New England Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts milk
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; add to Dutch oven. Add clams and remaining ingredients; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 254 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 15, 2020
Adde half and half and additional clams along with clam juice.
May 23, 2019
I use this as my guide for clam chowder. I do lighten up the calories a bit by using 1% milk with just a little whole milk and use olive oil to make the base then add a little butter for flavor. My family likes me to use minced clams instead of chopped.
Jan 6, 2015
I didn't care for the spices added to this recipe. I'll go back to my old recipe.
Feb 17, 2014
My husband and son both said this was a restaurant-quailty chowder! It is absolutely delicious. I was looking for a little thicker soup (just my preference), so instead of milk, I used half-and-half. And I added a fourth can of clams! :)One great thing about this recipe: the ease!
Jan 17, 2014
I liked the flavor of this soup. Next time I will cook the potatoes a bit with the onion and celery to add a bit more flavor and a bit more cream.
Dec 24, 2013
This recipe is fabulous!
Nov 13, 2013
Due to a previous comment, I used half of the thyme, but still did not care for the flavor. I wanted mine thick and creamy, so I used a quart of half and half and a quart of whole milk. I was pleased with the results. I added 2 minced garlic cloves and finely diced celery with the onions. I omitted the celery salt and sage. Overall, I was satisfied with my chowder, but it just wasn't my favorite.
Oct 7, 2013
Best clam chowder ever!
Jan 24, 2013
No comment left
Jan 17, 2013
No comment left