Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese spread
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and well drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese sauce, soy sauce, pepper and hot pepper sauce, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in water chestnuts.
- Place beans in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 223 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 13, 2020
It is good recipe... did not have cheese sauce so went with the mushroom cream sauce.... Beans were not closed to cooked so I had to add time in the oven... should the fresh beans be precooked? I do not see that in the recipe...
Dec 1, 2013
Have made this a couple of times and liked it very much. Used a cheese sauce instead of the cheese spread because of cost and it is a little thick w/ the spread. Added a touch of garlic powder, too. Thanks Pat, even my husband raves about it and he isn't big on green beans.
Jan 11, 2012
Eh, I just wasn't digging this recipe. It really sounded like it would turn out tasty, but it fell short of my expectations. I made it for Thanksgiving, and it was the only thing that we didn't finish off with the left overs... I ended up having to throw most of it away.
Nov 23, 2011
Best on the planet!
Nov 24, 2009
I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for 10 years! My husband loves the hint of hot pepper, sauteed mushrooms & water chestnuts. Definitely better than the "other" green bean bake!
Apr 6, 2008
Loved this...I served it for a get-together. It was a hit....
Dec 25, 2006
No comment left
Nov 30, 2006
No comment left