In our family, boeuf bourguignon has been a staple for generations. I wanted a meatless alternative. All this dish needs is a French baguette. —Sonya Labbe, West Hollywood, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry red wine
- 2 cups mushroom broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (14.4 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half the mushrooms; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove from pan; repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and mushrooms.
- Return all mushrooms to pan. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in wine, 1-1/2 cups broth, salt, thyme, pepper and carrot mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25 minutes.
- Add beans and pearl onions; cook 30 minutes longer. In a small bowl, whisk flour and remaining broth until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.