Mushroom and Potato Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large kettle, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to make a smooth paste. Gradually add water, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, celery, potatoes and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cream and Parmesan cheese; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 578mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 19, 2019
I didn’t have celery so added chopped broccoli. Also added some shallot. When completed we thought it needed more salt and some tang so I also stirred in a few tablespoons of lemon juice.
Dec 4, 2017
So good! My whole family loved it. My seven year old asked to take leftovers in her lunch the next day! Substituted chicken broth for the water and salt. Will definitely make again. Would also be yummy with chopped kielbasa.
Dec 3, 2017
Excellent!! Follow tips by kirra64.
Apr 7, 2016
This is a tasty and very good soup for those chilly snowy and rainy days.My family really enjoys it.
Nov 14, 2013
Delicious! However, I thought it could've been a little thicker and had a little more potato. The only change I made to the recipe was to use chicken broth instead of water (and reduced the salt to make up for salt in the broth). With minor tweeks, will no doubt become one of our favorites!
Aug 10, 2013
If I had've been served this at a high-end restaurant I would've been thrilled. I chopped up 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 3 red potatoes with skin on and I added 6 cups of vegetable broth and 1 cup of water. I also used non fat half and half. I thickened it more with cornstarch (about 5 tablespoons). This was SO good. The entire family raved on about it! This is a definite keeper!!
Dec 10, 2012
very good, will make again.
Feb 15, 2012
This is soup is delicious! For health reasons we skipped the salt, used low-sodium chicken broth in place of half of the water and used fat-free half-and-half and it was still fantastic!
Jan 24, 2012
Delicious! Would give it more than 5 stars if possible.
Mar 21, 2011
I added left over rotisserie chicken and a bag of corn and some green onions...Mmmmm was it good!!!!