Mother’s Walnut Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in ground walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar; mix well. Beat in vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 685 calories, 35g fat (16g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 7, 2020
This cake has the potential to be a amazing cake. I made it exactly as instructed. It is shockingly sweet, way too much sugar. This is also a heavy cake and a little dry. Use oil instead butter and shortening. , cut the sugar down 1 1/4 C. Try another cream cheese frosting. It’s a great idea, baked beautifully. Iced beautifully. If was just to sweet for us. Use the wet cake pan strips for a perfectly level cake, I love mine.
May 31, 2020
This cake is delicious. My son requested d a walnut cake for his birthday and since I had never made one before I went with Taste Of Home for the recipe. The only problems I had were the instructions should list to grease and flour 3 9-inch pans at the beginning of the instructions and there was not enough of the frosting to frost the whole cake. Next time I will double the frosting.
Dec 12, 2019
This has become my best cake yet above all the other cakes I make. Absolutely delicious. I poured my batter into 2 - 9" pans instead of 3 - 9" pans. Makes thicker layers and need to bake a little longer. Have to watch it and give the toothpick test until its ready. Had plenty of frosting leftover since going with just a 2 - layer.
May 17, 2019
This was so easy to make! The middle of my cakes fell, but this doesn't affect the look at all after frosting. One mistake I made was rationing the frosting as a comment below stated the person made a double batch of frosting. One batch is PLENTY. When I make it again, I won't be so stingy as I ended up throwing some frosting away.
May 7, 2018
We made this cake yesterday and it was fantastic! I added to one layer pastry cream and I put peaches and apricots jam to the other layer. Covered with cream cheese frosting! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Dec 8, 2012
hello, I would love to make this cake, but I do not understand what "shortening" is. as I'm from Slovakia, cannot find it out. Can you please, explain? Thank you so much, Michaela.
Dec 19, 2011
I just baked this cake today....delicious....probably will have to bake another one BEFORE the 25th. I used a sheet cake pan and guessed baking time. If anyone could tell me the exact time....I would appreciate it. I baked it for 50 minutes...little long? Anyway, this recipes is a keeper. We loved it!
Mar 26, 2011
This is asked for EVERY Birthday by my daughters. It is delicious, although I double the frosting. What can I say... it's delicious!
Mar 22, 2011
This is a really good moist cake, I did cut the recipe in half, since it's just two of us. No problems at all. Glad to add this to my keepers.