Mother’s Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes , cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white, salt and flour (mixture will be slightly dry); set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, carrot, onion, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- With a knife, cut rivels into the soup. Cook, partially covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Beat egg yolk and milk; add to the soup. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 12, 2010
Rivels are an old-fashioned pasta dish usually made by dropping tiny pieces of pasta into boiling soup. Rivels are probably Germanic in origin, and they make an easily prepared short "noodle", which have gone out of favor in modern cooking. They are usually cooked in a chicken soup. According to wikiHow
Jan 12, 2010
WHAT IS CUT A RIVLET IN THE SOUP MEAN????AND WHY///