Morning Maple Muffins
Total TimeTakes: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine milk, butter, syrup, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For topping, combine flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in freezer containers. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 212 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 20, 2020
I bake a LOT of muffins but haven't tried maple flavor ones before. These smell so good and taste delicous! This recipe is an absolute keeper. I did everything as directed but used brown sugar instead of white in the topping. They were very moist and soft in texture and the maple flavor isn't overpowering.
Mar 22, 2020
Just made these tasty muffins. Made recipe exact, will definitely make again. But next time may use a little less melted butter as cooked muffins felt a little greasy. Also I made the mistake and overmixed the batter and muffins came out a little tough (my error).
Oct 8, 2018
Can it be without nut.sour cream and make 12 muffins?
Jun 12, 2017
Good muffins and I will make them again. I made the recipe exactly as stated above except I did not use any nuts in the topping. Also, I made them as mini-muffins. They turned out a little on the dry side (possibly because they were minis) and there was not much maple taste. Also, there was way too much topping. I threw at least half of it out.Next time I make them, I will substitute maple extract for the vanilla. I will break up the brown suger finely before adding it to the dry ingredients. For the topping, I will use half the dry ingredients and the same amount of butter. (I'll still omit the nuts.) I will make regular muffins, not mini muffins.
Nov 2, 2016
Wow! Just wow! These muffins were so delicious. They really do taste a bit like a doughnut, as another reviewer suggested. I used pecans for the nuts and loved the topping! I will definitely make these again.
Aug 10, 2016
oh my heavens good!
Mar 15, 2016
Dec 14, 2015
Dry and lacking flavor, could barely taste any maple; would not make again.
Dec 1, 2015
These are terrific and a great base to create so many different variations! I decided to add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 3/4 cups of oats and 3/4 cups pumpkin. I also omitted the topping. Let me just say, they came out amazing! My boys loved them! Next time, I'll probably add a bit more maple syrup and chia seeds. So glad I found this recipe!
Oct 30, 2015
A nice and easy muffin recipes that taste kind of like a doughnut. I know my grandchildren will love these, but there wasn't a big "wow" factor for me.