Mom’s White Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups Daisy 2% cottage cheese
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- Optional: Additional minced fresh basil and oregano
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente. In a large skillet, cook sausage, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 3-4 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add cream, cream cheese, herbs, pepper and salt; stir until cream cheese is melted. Drain noodles.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, cheddar and cottage cheese.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer three noodles, half of the sausage mixture, half of the cheddar cheese mixture and half of the mozzarella slices. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles; sprinkle with Gouda cheese.
- Bake, covered, 40-50 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil and oregano.
Apr 28, 2020
This looks delicious. Do you think I could substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese? Same amounts?
Jan 11, 2020
Did you use “fresh” mozzarella that comes in the tube? If so how thick of slices? Sounds delicious and will be trying out tonight?
Dec 21, 2019
Made this this week cause it sounded good. Boy did I under-estimate that !!!! It was FANTASTIC !!!
Feb 10, 2019
Made this today and my husband loves it. Prep is a little longer than what I thought it would be but worth it. Has a great taste and texture. Glad I made two - it won’t last long
Feb 9, 2019
Excellent lasagna! My husband loves it. I only changed the recipe by using sharp cheddar in place of white cheddar. I used what I had available. Freezable too. Thank you Janet.