Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in. square baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice horizontally in half. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and remaining sugar; spoon between cake layers and over top of each serving. Top with whipped cream and, if desired, mint leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without whipped cream): 236 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 18, 2019
I was looking for a simple strawberry shortcake recipe, one where you don't have to separate the egg whites and all that, so thanks for this! I really love it! It's even easy to double the recipe. I didn't change anything in the recipe but just added a teaspoon or two of strawberry flavor to the batter. Even coming straight out of the fridge, it's not that dense or dry. Perfect sweetness.
Jun 12, 2019
I doubled this recipe and instead of sugar I used an organic stevia blend and came out amazing
Jun 6, 2019
Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe! I used for a family reunion and everyone loved it! It is now officially the only cake recipe I will use. I also reduced the sugar to 1/2c. Even after doing that, the taste was still fantastic! I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the fresh strawberries. Tasted great.
May 5, 2019
Simple yet delicious. I love the sweetness of this cake
Mar 12, 2018
Easy to make! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! It reminded me of the wonderful shortcakes from my childhood!!! DELICIOUS ! I also had difficulty taking it out of the pan after 10 min - so left it in the pan and it was fine. Strawberry time again! I put parchment paper in the bottom! PERFECTION
Mar 3, 2018
Great shortcake. I mixed everything in the bowl together, mixing well. I also added an extra tablespoon of butter. I used buttermilk plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda and also cut the sugar to 1/2 cup, as I only wanted it slightly sweet. It came out great!
Sep 26, 2016
I have been making this recipe since it came out in 1996! 20 years ofthe best strawberry shortcake ever!
Aug 6, 2014
This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious
Jun 8, 2014
This cake was light and fluffy, a nice change from the biscuit version. This will be my new go-to recipe. I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon into the batter, and my family liked the cake so much they said they would even eat it plain.
Apr 28, 2014
This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome....