Mom’s Pickled Beets
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (13-1/4 ounces each) sliced beets, undrained
- Sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add beets. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 110 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Aug 15, 2016
I got this recipe out of your magazine when it first came out and have been making it ever since. This is my go to recipe that I use for family gatherings and other events and everyone loves them.
Sep 8, 2014
My go to recipe when my husband wants pickled beets. Perfect for anyone who wants the taste of pickled beets without going to alot of trouble. When I take them to potlucks on a relish tray everyone thinks they are homegrown old fashioned pickled beets!
Jun 4, 2011
I've made pickled beets for years, but this recipe is the one I'll be using. I made it with fresh cooked, peeled and sliced beets (3 large). I loved the cooked onion and the pepper in it (wasn't sure if I would). Great recipe!
Nov 22, 2010
These were delicious! My mom used to make pickled beets and none of us knew what her secret was. Since she's not here with us anymore, I turned to Taste of Home. You all have never let me down. (0=
Jun 5, 2007
No comment left
Feb 10, 2007
No comment left