Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced fully cooked smoked sausage (1/4-inch slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, halved
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ham, sausage, onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons oil for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add olives and raisins if desired. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally; remove meat and vegetable mixture from pan and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute rice in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic, turmeric and curry. Return meat and vegetables to pan; toss lightly. Add broth and mixed vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 258 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 711mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Apr 21, 2019
I use a package of yellow rice, do not use the ham and add some shrimp..Because I use a package of Vigo yellow rice mix..I do not add the 2 garlic cloves, ground turmeric or curry powder.. The yellow rice is nicely spiced...It's a winner at every pot luck I have brought it to...and a winner in my home too...
Jan 7, 2019
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't converted rice and instant rice 2 different types. I thought instant rice took at max 5 minutes to cook? And all others took at least 20 minutes? I thought these recipes were for instant rice??? Confused.
Nov 11, 2018
Very good, I am looking forward to making it again adding the shrimp, thanks for the suggestion.
Dec 3, 2012
I added a lb of shrimp the second time i cooked it . The orignal is good . I used extra virgin olive oil . Thanks for the recipe .