Molded Lime Salad
"THIS SALAD makes a nice addition to any meal because it's both tasty and colorful. My aunt gave me the recipe nearly 30 years ago and our family has enjoyed it ever since. You're sure to get the same kind of response I've learned to expect every time I serve this salad to my family or guests."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (6 ounces) lime gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Dash salt
- Dash white pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Add cold water, vinegar, salt, and pepper if desired. Pour 1 cup of mixture into 6-cup mold; set aside. Chill remaining gelatin for 30 minutes, then add mayonnaise and blend with a rotary beater until smooth. Chill until almost set. Meanwhile, chill gelatin in mold until almost set. Turn mayonnaise/gelatin mixture into a bowl and whip until fluffy. Fold in vegetables. Spoon into mold. Chill until firm. Unmold to serve.