Suggests Deb Anderson of Joplin, Missouri, "You'll have fun decorating these spicy cutouts. They really stand out."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Optional decorations: confectioners' sugar icing, colored sugar, sprinkles and nonpareils
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, ginger and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as desired.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.