Molasses Crackle Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray; flatten slightly. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 77 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2019
Since I am always on the lookout for cookie recipes that are not loaded with butter or shortening, I decided to try these lower-fat cookies. These came out great tasting and moist. I used just regular white all-purpose flour and lined the cookie sheets with parchment paper so they would not stick to the cookie sheet. Next time, I will roll the cookie dough in some granulated sugar first, then roll in confectioners sugar before baking, like I do when making chocolate crinkle cookies. Will make these again.
Dec 21, 2017
Not sure how these are diabetic friendly when sugar is involved as in white sugar and molasses. 14g of carbs per cookie is a lot. I always use sugar sub and no one can tell the difference and this cuts the carb amount. I just replace 1:1 ratio of sugar replacement. I mix a small amount of molasses with sugar free maple syrup. They don't come out as crispy but they are healthier.
Oct 17, 2017
I love crinkle cookies, but these had a weird texture (probably the white whole wheat flour) and I found them overly sweet. I'll stick with my Nonnie's recipe.
Mar 7, 2017
Ran across this recipe looking for low sugar desserts for diabetic spouse. They were so good - enjoyed by all family members. Did not miss all that sugar ( in fact, reduced to 1/2 cup) and flavor enormous. Skipped confectioners ' sugar.
Dec 6, 2014
One of the best cookies I have made in a long time. Easy to make. My family loves them very much and the kitchen swell's wonderful when baking. Great for Christmas.