Mississippi Mud Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Fold in the pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes (cake will fall in the center). Spoon the marshmallow creme over cake; carefully spread to cover top. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in the cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Fold in pecans. Spread over marshmallow creme layer. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour, place 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup. Combine with an additional 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 457 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 10, 2019
Cut the frosting in half after reading how sweet the recipe is. Came out great, flavorful and delicious. Will make again! Thank you for the recipe.
Jul 5, 2019
OH MY GOSH! What a great cake! Made this for July 4th for the family get together and everyone loved it. Will be making this again very soon!
Apr 7, 2019
My mom used to bake this cake when we were all young and still living at home. Now, that we are grown, I have made this same cake which we called "the Mud cake" and people seem to really like it.
May 6, 2017
This recipe is soooo good. I love to serve this for potlucks!
Apr 29, 2014
This cake is beyond delicious! It tastes like the best brownie you've ever had.I used all-purpose flour and had no problem. This is a keeper!!!!!
Dec 5, 2013
This is a yummy dessert. This is one of the first recipes my teenager learned to make and, unfortunately for my waist line, she wants to make it frequently!
Jul 15, 2013
This is too heavy to be called a cake..it is definely a brownie..really rich and maybe a little too sweet..
Apr 20, 2013
Dec 27, 2012
No comment left
May 14, 2012
If you like pecans, you will probably really like this recipe.