Minted Beet Salad
We have neighbors who share vegetables from their garden, and every year my husband and I look forward to their beets. My interest in Mediterranean food inspired this beet salad recipe—the vinegar and oil dressing with fresh mint tones down the sweetness of the beets and the kalamata olives add a salty touch. —Barbara Estabrook, Appleton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 5 medium fresh beets (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint, divided
- Scrub beets; trim tops to 1 in. Place in a single layer in a large microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with water. Microwave, covered, on high until easily pierced with a fork, turning once, 14-15 minutes; let stand 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and cut beets into 3/4-in. pieces. In a bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, salt and pepper until blended. Add olives, beets and 1 tablespoon mint; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 1 hour. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon mint.