Mint-Pesto Lamb Chops
I adore the taste and richness of lamb. But it takes bold flavors to complement the lamb, and this recipe definitely does that. The simple mint-cilantro pesto marries well with the lamb flavor, while the pomegranate-balsamic reduction adds the perfect balance to finish off the dish. This easy-to-prepare entree is delicious and gourmet, and is sure to impress.—Melanie Stevenson, Reading, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 double-cut lamb rib chops (2 inches thick and 4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional: Pomegranate seeds and torn fresh mint leaves
- In a large saucepan, bring pomegranate juice and vinegar to a boil over medium heat; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Meanwhile, for pesto, place the mint, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Coat chops with pesto. In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, brown lamb in oil on all sides.
- In a 450° oven, bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Drizzle with pomegranate sauce and, if desired, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and mint leaves.