Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 package (1 pound) egg roll wrappers (14 count)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salsa and additional sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream and chiles. Stir in beef mixture. Place an egg roll wrapper on work surface with a point facing you. Place 1/3 cup filling in center. Fold bottom third of wrapper over filling; fold in sides.
- Brush top point with egg white; roll up to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Keep remaining egg roll wrappers covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out.)
- In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1 in. oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas on each side or until golden brown, 1-1/2 minutes . Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with salsa and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 chimichanga: 285 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 29, 2020
I made these tonight and followed the recipe as written. Sorry, but mine did not turn out like the recipes picture. Some of them (half if them)broke open in the air fryer and made a mess, very frustrating. I ended up doing some of them in a lightly sprayed frying pan and they still broke open. I've made eggrolls in the same air fryer many times and they've always turn out. The filling was very good but using the wraps just didn't work well. Next time I make buritos I will use this filling for them as it is very different then the one I usually use. My family thought they were tasty and ate them with a fork, all were eaten??.
Jan 3, 2014
Tasty and so cute! My mom and I made these recently and were very pleased with the results. Make sure to let the filling cool. We were a little hasty, the filling melted through the wraps on a couple of chimis. I will make these again!
Dec 21, 2013
It is not Christmas with chimichangas for dinner. We serve them as an appetizer. AMAZING!!
Nov 5, 2013
Can you make ahead and freeze? If so would you cook them first?
Apr 27, 2013
No comment left
Feb 3, 2012
These were so good and simple to make. We have a cookout once a week so I made them for a trial run. We served them with added sour cream and salsa. Also served mexican rice with them. Made a perfect meal. I am thinking of making mini versions for the superbowl. Could add other things if you'd like. Would be good with black olives and jalapenos if you wanted spicy. Thanks for the great recipe.
Jul 21, 2011
Love this recipe. I made it for a pot luck and it was a hit! We'll be having these for dinner next week!
Nov 19, 2009
I made these delicious chimichangas the other night. My son liked them also and he is hard to please. Next time I might try to use a hotter taco seasoning because they weren't very spicy, but this is definitely a recipe I will make again!
Oct 27, 2009
This looks like something I would make!