Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Optional: Minced fresh cilantro and fried tortilla strips
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken and onion in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cheese, corn, chiles and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted; add tomato. If desired, top with cilantro and tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 368 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 19, 2020
Really good and versatile. I made as directed except adding a 1/4 c white wine/ vermouth to the broth. Next time I’ll use pepper jack cheese. My family really enjoyed this soup. I served it with fish tacos
Feb 17, 2020
This recipe was so easy and so good! We could use a little more spiciness in ours but that was something we added on our own. I will add this to my recipe box!
Feb 14, 2020
I have been on such a soup kick and this one did not disappoint. Easy and quick to put together. Loved it!
Jan 30, 2020
This recipe just moved to my favorites list! I loved this soup!
Jan 20, 2020
Gg hgv ç2b hgv hgv h
Oct 25, 2019
Delicious! I love me a good corn chowder and this is definitely that!
Oct 16, 2019
Wonderful chowder. I added frozen cubed potatoes, used chicken broth instead of bouillon, added Rotel, a dash of Worcestershire, half and half, and added crisped diced bacon just before serving. Very good!
Oct 10, 2019
A nice change. I had to make a few adjustments with what I had on hand but overall it's a wonderful soup, simple and quick.
Jul 14, 2019
Excellent , i added some cubed potatoes that I sauteed with fresh corn instead. I also added 1/2 cup of vermouth (white wine would work) and juice of one lime. salt and pepper, more hot sauce if needed to taste.
May 10, 2019
Really good. Didn't have cream style corn so I used a bag of frozen birds Eye steam fresh (10.8 oz.) cooked as package directed. Also have added cooked potatoes or pasta. I will omit the hot sauce and just use ground pepper, a little hot for my taste but that's just my opinion.