Meringue Candy Canes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Beat in peppermint extract.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag; insert star tip #21. With a new painbrush, brush three evenly spaced 1/4-in. strips of red food coloring on the inside of the bag from the tip to three-fourths of the way to the top of the bag. Carefully fill bag with meringue.
- Pipe 3-in. candy canes onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 25 minutes; rotate baking sheets to a different oven rack. Bake 25 minutes longer or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven with door ajar for at least 1 hour or until cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 13 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2015
Quick and easy recipe! I decided to make these to use up egg whites leftover from another recipe that called for egg yolks only. They were a hit and very pretty on my cookie plate!
Dec 17, 2015
easy, fun, pretty, tasty, impressive.......what's not to love :)
Dec 16, 2013
Really want to try these
Dec 10, 2012
Excellent! They are truly airy and melt in your mouth! I made these into light green/blue cookies similar to Hersheys Kisses. They're baking right now, and they are absolutely delicious!I made these once before, but didn't beat long enough, so they turned into flat fragile candy-cane type cookies. And the part where you brush food coloring in the bag? Didn't quite understand that.Still a great recipe, but a little confusing to make.
Jan 20, 2010
I made these several years ago when the magazine came out. They are super cute and very festive. I need to make them again :) You don't need to have mad piping skills, just practice a bit and have fun!
Dec 6, 2009
These look fantastic! If only I had the piping skills necessary to create such a pretty treat. To ToH staff for the suggestion box: would you consider adding a difficulty level for the recipes in your database?