Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix first10 ingredients. Place onion, green pepper and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker; place roast over top. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove roast. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Transfer juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.
Freeze option: Place sliced beef and vegetables in freezer containers; top with gravy. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy: 362 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Aug 23, 2020
GREAT recipe. One of our favorites. Warning...It IS PEPPERY. We loved it, but if you do not LOVE pepper, cut that back a little. The sweet and tangy is delicious. The "gravy" is so yummy! I do prefer to make this in my insta pot instead of my pressure cooker. I am learning that it does a better job tendorizing meat. I insta pot for 60-75 min depending on the roast.
Jul 10, 2020
We didn't care for this at all. I made the recipe exactly as printed; even cooked it on High for the last hour, as the temp wasn't where I thought it should be. The sweet/hot combination is what drew me to the recipe since we usually like that combination, but this one just didn't blend well. I always find something redeemable in every recipe, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to fix the leftovers. Sorry!
Jul 3, 2020
Delicious!! Will definitely make this again.
Jul 1, 2020
Half cup of ketchup and 3 spoons of brown sugar? Are we making desert?
Jun 30, 2020
No comment left
Jun 30, 2020
Chuck/pot roasts are by nature a sinewy muscle meat so if you find it chewy it means you have no cooked it long enough. All slow cookers, like all ovens are different so you have to adjust your cooking time accordingly. And people please...if you know you don’t like sweet, if you know you don’t like “tomatoey” or spice then don’t make the recipe and keep the negativity to yourselves. Great recipe as written. My family LOVED it!
Jun 30, 2020
haven't tried it because I cant eat tomatoes and red pepper flakes are too spicy for me. I want to make it but need to alter the recipe. Help
Jun 30, 2020
It's not rude to dissect a recipe and articulate why, in your opinion, you don't like it or how to improve it. Chefs will favour some ingredients over others because they prefer them, but that doesn't mean home tasters can't disagree, as everyone has a different opinion. Some haven't even tried it and make comments - which could be considered - rude.
Jun 10, 2020
This my go to ROAST. Never a bad meal. Yum, yum, yum
Jun 4, 2020
This was super delicious! A bit too spicy for the kids thou, so I guess i'll add less chili flakes the next time. But speaking for myself, it was flawless.