Meatball Sub Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 9 submarine sandwich buns
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each roll; scoop out bread from inside. Crumble 1-1/4 cups of the bread and place in a large bowl. Cover rolls and tops with plastic wrap; set aside.
- To the crumbled bread, add beef, egg, milk, diced onion, salt and pepper. Shape into 27 meatballs, about 1-1/2-in. each. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in 1 tablespoon oil for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, saute green peppers and slice onion until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Stir flour into skillet. Add chili sauce and water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and mustard Add meatballs, peppers and onion; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, warm rolls in a 325° oven for 8-10 minutes. Spoon three meatballs and sauce into each roll; replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 596 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1591mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
May 7, 2018
My family loves meatballs and food with great flavor. This recipe lacks flavor. I work with professional chefs, so I'm spoiled by great food. My husband asked what it was supposed to taste like. I thought people tested these recipes before publishing them. I wish I would have not cooked all the meatballs in the sauce because no one will eat the leftovers.
Jul 18, 2011
No comment left
Jun 11, 2010
Have been making these for years. I have turned them into burgers and top with cheddar cheese. Also use less water for a thicker sauce.