Meatball Lover’s Sandwich
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 hoagie buns or submarine rolls, split
- 1 large onion, sliced
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, chopped onion and salt. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic in butter. Add ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, celery seed, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully hollow out buns, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Spoon meatball mixture into buns; top with sliced onion.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve on buns and top with sliced onion.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 587 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1828mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Aug 15, 2015
These were very tasty and the whole family enjoyed them! I substituted garlic powder in place of the garlic cloves and tomato sauce in place of the chili sauce.these were packed with flavor!
Jan 23, 2013
I love this recipe I make double the sauce and use red hot sweet chili sauce which gives it a nice bit of heat. One of the family favorites.
Aug 14, 2011
I thought these were excellent! My husband prefers spaghetti sauce type meatball subs, though. I think the meatballs would also be good as an appetizer.
Jan 24, 2006
No comment left