Meat Loaf with Sweet Potatoes
Mother often prepared this for supper after Sunday services. Sweet potatoes are a traditional part of Southern cooking. - Kay Goins, Church Hill, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 50 crackers), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (23 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 bacon strips
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, egg, 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs, green pepper, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes; drain. Combine sweet potatoes and molasses; roll potatoes in remaining crumbs. Add potatoes to the pan; place bacon strips over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until the meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
Instead of a 23-ounce can of sweet potatoes, use four medium fresh sweet potatoes that have been peeled, cut and cooked.
Dec 14, 2007
The meatloaf portion of this is great! The sweet potatoes have _way_ too much molasses and did not add any flavor to the meatloaf. I'd make the meatloaf again, but leave out the sweet potato portion.