Meat Loaf from the Slow Cooker
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut three 25x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well (mixture will be moist). Shape into a loaf. Place meat loaf in the center of the strips.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Spoon over meat loaf. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Using foil strips as handles, remove the meat loaf to a platter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 284 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Jul 7, 2020
Jan 9, 2020
I loved the inside texture of this meatloaf because it was perfectly cooked and not at all dry. I also loved that this could just be prepared and forgotten in the slow cooker. However, I didn't achieve that nice browned edge that I get when I make it in the oven (although it sounds like some reviewers did), and the sauce kind of became watery on top. So, although this tasted pretty good, it won't replace the oven version for me.
Dec 11, 2019
I've never made meatloaf in a slow cooker and I'm so glad I tried this recipe! Instead of adding the 1/2 pound of sausage, I used 2 lbs of ground beef and did add a few more crushed saltine crackers. The meatloaf lifted out of the slow cooker easily, was nicely browned around the edges and had a nice, moist texture. This dish met with rave reviews and being able to fix it and forget it in the slow cooker made it a winner! I'll definitely make this one again!
Jul 30, 2018
Love this slow cooker meatloaf!
Jan 28, 2018
Very Good...Mixture seemed a little loose, so I added a few more crushed crackers
Oct 20, 2017
Oct 1, 2017
I'm planning to make this, but I wonder... I use Crockpot Liners all the time, they are so easy and eliminate most of the mess and clean up. I love them especially at winter holidays when I put a turkey breast in the crockpot to cook - Wow - just lift out over the sink! So, I'm curious if I really need to use the strips of foil also since the liners are pretty strong. Comments? Suggestions? Thank you!
Mar 22, 2014
This is the only way I make meatloaf!
Mar 26, 2013
WOW!!! Very good and easy. The texture is better than the regular meatloaf that I make in the oven and the ingredients accent the taste. Mmmm...GOOD!!! (HINT) Foil strips are very important!
Sep 14, 2011
10 crushed saltines made a perfect 1/3 cup crushed saltines for me. The sauce has a great flavor and makes just the right amount to go with the meatloaf. I used all lean ground beef and then worried about it drying out but I kept the lid on the slow cooker and it stayed moist and the flavor was good. This is a great way to prepare meatloaf in the summer when you don't want to make your house any hotter.