Meat and Potato Patties
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup finely shredded potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine the first 6 ingredients. Shape into 4 patties; press to flatten slightly. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown patties on both sides; drain. Add tomato juice. Simmer, covered, until a thermometer inserted into meat reads 160°, 20-25 minutes. Remove patties to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Whisk flour into water; gradually add to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Spoon over patties. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 patty: 237 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Aug 11, 2020
I grew up eating this as a kid. But we put rice in it and called it porcupine balls
Jun 23, 2020
I made this recipe for dinner, and gave it a spicy update: I used spicy taco sauce and salsa in place of the tomato juice. When the patties were done I topped them with Mexican blend cheese. We loved them!
Jun 14, 2020
Doesn't say when to add the tomato juice?
Apr 8, 2020
My Grandfather had a slight version of this. He omitted the potatoes from the meat. He made meatballs instead and added a whole sliced onion. He used a can of tomato juice and adjusted the amount of flour and water to make the slurry. He then put the lot in a Dutch oven and dubbed it Millionaire’s Stew. He served it on top of mashed potatoes. It’s still a family favourite.
Mar 31, 2020
These old retro recipes can’t be bet. The are such comforts foods. Very satisfying and family friendly. V F E
Mar 26, 2020
Does it have to be shredded potato? Can you use mashed potatoes instead?
Mar 24, 2020
This recipe is a family favorite. I usually triple it for my 3 teenage sons, husband and small grandson. They love it made according to the recipe or with tomato soup or V8. I've yet to make this with crackers instead of potatoes, but I will soon, given the current supply situation. Thank you for this good old fashioned delicious recipe!
Feb 19, 2020
I’ve made this for years using my mother’s recipe. We like a creamier sauce to put over mashed potatoes. I mix one can tomato soup with one can water. Add a little chili powder and pour over cabbage rolls while cooking.its a family favorite.
Feb 8, 2020
I really enjoy this. I also freezes well, which is important to me.
Oct 28, 2019
Looks great, but could you use jar or packet beef gravy and obtain the same results. My concern would be the gravy simmering for 25 min.