Martha Washington Pies
This recipe was handed down to me by my mother. It's so easy to make and always gets compliments. I like topping the nutty meringues with strawberries at Christmas, and I use peaches during the summer. —Ginger Clark of Hinesville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 12 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in nuts, crackers and vanilla. Drop by rounded 1/3 cupfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Shape into 3-1/2-in. rounds with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until set. Turn oven off; leave in oven with door closed for 2 hours. Toss strawberries with the remaining sugar; spoon 2/3 cup into each shell. Dollop each with whipped topping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.