Maple Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Dip the tops in sugar. Place sugar side up 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl. beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 223 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 8, 2014
I did not make the sandwiches but added the flavoring directly to the cookies. I stirred in some chopped walnuts, and rolled the cookies in powdered maple sugar. The result was a delicious, maple shortbread cookie.