Mamie Eisenhower’s Fudge
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 6 pounds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (two 7 ounces, one 1.55 ounces), broken into pieces
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and butter the foil with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the candy bars, chocolate chips and marshmallow creme; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk, sugar and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 4-1/2 minutes. Pour over chocolate mixture; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Using foil, lift fudge out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 107 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 17mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 23, 2019
This isn’t Mamie’s recipe, hers calls specifically for 12 oz Germans Chocolate with the semisweet
Oct 9, 2019
I would love to make this fudge, but can I use real sugar? If so, how much would I use? I'm sure Mamie didn't use Sugar in the Raw or Stevia??
Dec 18, 2018
like the recipe...however after made it , realized that it has to be kept refrigerated which goofs me up for mailing overseas and to Colorado
Nov 14, 2018
Some 40 years? More like some 60 years ago "Ike" Eisenhower was elected President in 1952.
Jul 20, 2018
it was to surgary
Mar 1, 2018
Made this the other day and it is just way to good. It makes a lot too. Make sure you cook the sugar, butter and milk the full time if not a little longer. You want to make sure that all your sugar is melted otherwise the fudge will taste grainy. Yummy!
Dec 16, 2017
No comment left
Oct 4, 2017
I can not rate this recipe as I have not made it, however, it is not the same as one I had given to me by a patient in the late 50's. Mine also has German Chocolate and is excellent, but think I will give this a try.
Feb 4, 2017
This is the only Fudge to make. When you follow the instructions to a T this is the melt in your mouth creamy fudge that no other compares to. I know this because it is not my exact recipe but so close it is scary. When I was a little girl, a woman down the street worked for See's. She shared that Recipe with my Mom, then it came to me. Yes, See's... I had to make that Fudge every year for Family and Friends at Christmas until I told them all I lost the recipe. I was sick of Fudge. I do have my recipe...and I did have to tell a fib for my sanity's sake. LOL
Jan 29, 2017
No comment left