Mamaw Emily’s Strawberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of 2 greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, sugar and flour. Add water, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Fold in chopped strawberries. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in crushed strawberries. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 532 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 15, 2020
Delicious cake could I bake this in a bundt cake.pan?
Jul 8, 2020
My family loved it! I added a small amount of crushed dried strawberries to both the cake and frosting to boost the flavor. Family loved it!
Jun 29, 2020
This is the exact same recipe that my MIL used to make strawberry cakes back in the 1960's. It was my late husband's favorite cake. It is very easy to make and is absolutely delicious.
Jun 25, 2020
This is a favorite and so easy. Always comes out perfect!
Jun 22, 2020
I made my daughter this cake for her birthday, and she now would like me to make it every year to celebrate her birthday. Yay. Found a cake she enjoys. Thank you. :)
Jun 21, 2020
I use this recipe so much I decided I should finally leave a review! Everyone begs me to make it for every event. Could not recommend more
Jun 9, 2020
Made this cake yesterday and it has already vanished! So simple to make and everyone enjoyed it
Jun 1, 2020
This is ok......but my Mamaw would NEVER use a mix!!
May 21, 2020
I made this cake it was very delicious
May 14, 2020
This cake is delicious, very moist, very good strawberry flavor. Is my favorite strawberry cake of all time.