Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush
If you're blessed with an abundance of rhubarb each spring, this recipe is for you! Whether you use fresh or frozen rhubarb, it's a refreshing accompaniment for any brunch.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Lemon-lime soda, optional
- In a large kettle, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon juice; cook until the rhubarb is tender. Strain, reserving juice. Add gelatin to hot juice, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a 5-qt. container or individual plastic cups; freeze.
- To serve, allow mixture to thaw until slushy. Add 2 tablespoons lemon-lime soda to each serving if desired.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Jan 13, 2013
This recipe is so easy and quick to make, so refreshing on a hot day, and everybody loves it. I'll keep the frozen mixture on hand as much as possible.
May 28, 2010
No comment left
May 29, 2009
This slush is excellent with a splash of vodka!