Make-Ahead Hearty Six-Layer Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 large hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded Colby or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Place the lettuce in a 2-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl; top with pasta and eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer with chicken and peas. In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended; spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 310 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 8, 2018
It was really good. Perfect for work time lunch.
Apr 2, 2018
Did not think I would like this, but it was very good. Made it for Easter and everyone loved it!
Jun 1, 2017
We love this salad! I followed the recipe exactly the first time, then tried making it using cooked shrimp (with a sprinkling of Old Bay) instead of chicken. The bottom layer was chopped tomatoes without the seeds and "runny stuff" then a mix of celery and green peppers before starting the lettuce. It also turned out to be excellent. I can't thank you enough for the recipe - we'll use it often!
Jan 14, 2017
Very tasty, but at first glance I knew the recipe needed to be lightened up and it needed a dash of color. I used lite mayo, lite sour cream, whole grain shells and chopped red pepper. Delicious!
Oct 27, 2016
Family loved this salad. I'm thinking subbing leftover turkey for the chicken after Thanksgiving.
Jun 9, 2016
Great recipe! Very versatile to adjust to make it exactly how your family likes it. My husband and I love it exactly as is. The children don't like peas, so I added corn instead and they loved it. Will definitely be making this again!
Feb 28, 2016
Made this for the11st time. Very delicious. Plan to make again..No changes made to recipe.
Nov 9, 2015
Fabulous. Love the ease and the make ahead. I put just a dash of cayenne to the dressing for spice. I planned having leftovers for lunch, not happening. Even the teenage boys wiped it out.
Apr 15, 2014
Made this today for a small family gathering. I did not add the peas, but did add baby leaf spinach, deli black olives and a shredded cabbage mix found in the grocery store. It was a big hit and easy to make.
Apr 12, 2014
Excellent! So delicious.