Macaroon Cherry Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 9-in. cast-iron skillet or deep-dish pie plate with crust. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake 6 minutes; set aside.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice. Set cherries aside. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in cherry juice until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and food coloring if desired. Gently fold in cherries. Pour into crust. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine first 6 topping ingredients. Stir in coconut and almonds.
- Remove foil from pie; spoon topping over pie. Reduce oven to 350°; bake until topping is lightly browned, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 4 hours or overnight before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 434 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 23, 2020
It was a waste of ingredients, not to mention, too much corn starch made it taste bad and 3 cans was more than enough for 2 pies. Good thing I didn’t bother with the 2nd pie crust. The only decent thing was the topping. The rest was awful.
Mar 1, 2020
I really enjoyed all the flavors and textures in this pie. The end result was excellent! It had just the right combination of flavors and textures. Excellent!
Jun 4, 2019
The combo of charry and coconut is divine!
Aug 3, 2017
a HUGE hit! I used fresh sour cherries and then added 1 cup of 100% (organic) tart cherry juice for the juice required. Skipped the food coloring. Really easy to make and REALLY delicious!
Aug 1, 2016
This is my go to recipe for cherry pie and it's a family favorite! Each summer we drive over two hours to Traverse City, Michigan, to pick tart and sweet cherries. This year my children and I picked 70 lbs! I freeze bags where I have measured out enough for two pies one for our family and one to share.
Jul 10, 2013
My favorite cherry pie!! Have even made the recipe with no crust and putting the filling in custard cups and doubling the topping and dividing between the cup. Delightful!!
Dec 31, 2012
No comment left
Dec 24, 2010
I love the topping on this pie! It was fabulous.
Nov 27, 2010
I Love this pie and it's so easy!
Mar 3, 2008
No comment left