Lone Star Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Combine tomatoes, chilies, taco seasoning, bouillon and sugar; pour over the roast. Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. For gravy, pour 2 cups pan juices into a saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir into pan juices over high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve with roast.
Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with gravy. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 352 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
May 3, 2020
Loved it. Tasty and delicious. Will definitely make again. Added rice to the crockpot last 20 minutes for an easy all in one meal.
Apr 20, 2019
Wow, hubby and I loved this. It has a nice spiciness which we both enjoyed. Served it with mashed potatoes and the next day as sandwiches. I almost used a can of jalapenos instead of green chilies but was glad I didn't because the heat level with the taco seasoning was perfect. Yum!
Apr 8, 2019
This was surprisingly tasty and easy to make. I cooked it slowly on the stove top, about 3 1/2 hourse and it was so tender. I will try it with a pork roast next for delicious carne tacos.
Jan 20, 2019
Delicious! Made per the recipe and cooked on the stove, and it was done in two hours using a 3 lb. rump roast.
Dec 5, 2018
No comment left
Jan 14, 2018
This was a real hit with our family! I did it in the crockpot. I added garlic, left out the sugar and flour, and made my own taco seasoning... but the meat was tender and flavorful! Definitely will make it again! Also, if you added veggies, this would make a fabulous soup.
Dec 29, 2017
Very tasty roast. I fixed it in my electric skillet and it turned out great. However, the gravy was way too thick and I had to add and add water to thin it out enough to use. It was different and we liked it. A keeper.
Nov 6, 2016
I had very high expectations given all of the 5 stars, but I found this recipe simply o.k. In my humble opinion, nothing beats 10 hours on low in the slow cooker where the meat comes out so very tender. The meat was rather tough but it could have been the cut I purchased. I will stick to slow cookers for roasts and use my dutch oven for smaller cuts of meat.
Jul 26, 2015
Jun 7, 2015
This was GREAT! Only got a small pot roast, since there are only 3 of us, but next time I'll get a larger roast for the leftover shredded sandwiches! The gravy was awesome, too!