Lentil Rice Medley
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add carrots; cook 2 minutes longer. Add lentils and rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and zucchini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce and tomato; heat through.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 16, 2012
Very good. In Albuquerque it took 1 Hr. to cook lentils and brown rice. Also added 3 3/4cups of water.
Dec 12, 2010
I had a very hard time with this recipe. My rice and lentil took longer to cook then expected and the taste just wasn't to our liken.
Jun 25, 2010
I would rate this 5 out 5, I also added a little cinnamon, coriander and curry powder (not much, just a sprinkle). Shared this with friends and received much positive feedback. Very simple recipe.
Mar 5, 2010
This went over well at a gathering I carried it to, where several of the people were vegetarians. I made it with regular long grain rice, but I want to make it with the brown next time.