Lentil-Barley Ham Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add ham and carrots. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Return to a boil; stir in the barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 247 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 13, 2020
I love this soup! Didn't have any lentils so I used all barley (not quick cooking). I used half chicken broth and half broth from my ham bone. I used stewed a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes and about 8 cups of broth. Delicious!
May 27, 2016
I've made this several times, just as written, and is delicious every time! My whole family enjoys it!
Mar 3, 2013
Super flavour, I increased the amt of herbs & garlic. Sooooooo good!!!!!!
May 2, 2011
Love, Love, this soup. The only changes, olive oil for butter, canned lentils, and I also added mushrooms (about a cup & 1/2) when I was sauteing the vegetables. I also only used about half of the canned tomatoes.
Jan 30, 2010
Delish - our family loved the veggies and grain combination. The broth has just enough herbs for a great flavor (added 2 cups of ham broth to make it more soupy). I served this soup with Applesauce Walnut Muffins. Nice combination.