Lemon Surprise Cheesecake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups crushed lemon cream-filled sandwich cookies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- LEMON FILLING:
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Combine the cookie crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a lightly greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Cool pan on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter and zest. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Gradually beat in gelatin mixture until combined. Fold in the whipped cream and lemon peel.
- Spoon three-fourths of cheesecake mixture into crust; build up edges slightly. Chill for 5 minutes. Spoon lemon filling over cheesecake layer to within 1/2 in of edges. Top with remaining cheesecake mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides of pan. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 534 calories, 37g fat (22g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 7, 2018
No comment left
Apr 9, 2014
I made this for a Brunch that I had, it was a HIT. but I have to say, was a lot of work to make, but was worth it, when every one loved it, my daughter, says I have to make it for Easter, when we will also celebrate her Birthday.
Nov 5, 2012
No comment left
Jul 31, 2012
No comment left
Jan 26, 2012
every one who tries it loves it it always makes a good impression
Oct 3, 2011
Turns out I WILL make this again. The amount of work required was justified by this outstanding dessert. The "quick"category is misleading though because of the many steps involved.
Sep 29, 2011
Absolutely NOTHING quick about this recipe. My lemon centre is just a big yellow glob. It's in the fridge setting now. Unless the taste blows me away, this is too much work to justify making it again.
Jul 30, 2009
This is without a doubt the best lemon cheesecake I've ever made. I've made this several times for different venues and groups of people and friends and they have all raved about it. It has the true flavor of a really good lemon meringue pie coupled with the creamy texture that a really good cheesecake has. The flavor is out of this world. All the components are right on, the flavor--the right amount of lemon and sweet, the texture--creamy but stands up well when cut, and eye appeal--it's really quite impressive when you cut through it and see the layer of lemon curd in the middle. The only change I make to this recipe is I do not add the 2 Tbls of sugar to the crust as I feel the sweetness of the lemon sandwich cookies to be adequate without adding the extra sugar. This is a truly great recipe. Thanks Karen for sharing it with us.
Jun 6, 2009
I took two of these to a party that I thought was going to have more people there than where actually there. And both pies got eaten. They were a HUGE hit. I could not find lemon sandwich cookies, so I just made a clasic graham cracker crust (the honey maid website has a good recipe; be sure to bake it and cool it before putting the cheese cake in).
Mar 27, 2009
This recipe is absolutely delicious!! Everyone that tried it agrees; even my step-dad...and recipes with lemon are not usually his favorite!