Lemon-Streusel Blueberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- LEMON STREUSEL:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts; beat well. Beat in milk. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, lemon zest and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake 23-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 262 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 16, 2020
Omitted the almond extract due to allergies, used more vanilla. Reserved 1/4 of flour mixture to toss with berries to keep them from sinking. These were delicious, thumbs up all around!
May 28, 2018
Delicious! A thicker dough/batter than I expected but bakery-quality.
Jan 3, 2016
Always a success. These are so moist and delicious.
Jul 18, 2015
Absolutely delicious! I didn't have any ground cardamom, but they tasted great without it.
Apr 20, 2014
What a wonderful recipe! We made these Easter morning and enjoyed them with fresh fruit and yogurt. So delicious!! Highly recommend.