Lemon-Poppy Seed Cutout Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and oil; gradually add cake mix and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 93 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 10, 2020
These cookies haveva nice lemony taste but I doubt I will make them again. The dough was very soft even after it was in frig overnight, hard to roll out and have anything keep its shape other than circles.
May 21, 2019
Just a word of warning. If you have any type of job that does drug testing, DO NOT eat poppy seeds or you will test positive for drugs. I love poppy seed bread, muffins, cookies, etc. but my company does random testing so unfortunately I had to give up something I like. This did not happen to me but my company gave us a list of things to avoid.
Dec 15, 2015
Although I liked the taste of this cookie I had trouble with the dough. It was too sticky to roll out so I tried using my cookie press but the dough became too soft too quickly. If I made these again I would just use a small cookie scoop and drop them on the cookie sheet.
Feb 24, 2014
We really like these cookies! The lemon zest gives them a bright, fresh lemon flavor and they look pretty too!