Lemon Orange Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add the orange juice, lemon juice, zest and extract; beat until well blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 740 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 114g carbohydrate (86g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
May 10, 2020
Are the layers supposed to be only one inch thick?
Nov 2, 2018
The cake was delicious. The frosting recipe, however, is inadequate to cover the cake. I used lemon curd in between the layers, and I still barely had enough to cover the top and sides. make at least 1 1/2 recipes.
Jun 24, 2017
Made this cake for my husband's birthday in 1993, & everyone loved it! Haven't made it since because it got lost as more TOH came & I tried those recipes!! :) Came across it today & plan to make it this week. Lots of happy people! Thank you to those of you who tried it in a 9 x 13 pan as I don't want to make a layer cake. One of our sons is coming home for 4th of July & he'll happily take the 8 x 8 cake off my hands!! :) A very refreshing cake for July 4th.
Mar 30, 2015
Excellent. Very tall cake as it is 3 layers. Just fit in my cake container. I did need to add a few TBs of milk to the icing in order to smooth the consistency. Will definitely make again.
Dec 25, 2014
Okay, I did a few changes and the results were fantastic! I added grated lemon and orange peel to the batter as well as fresh lemon juice instead of the lemon extract. I did not make a 3 layer cake, instead I made a 9x13 and an 8x8 with the recipe. For the frosting, I used only 1 cup of powdered sugar and again used grated orange and lemon peel and fresh lemon and orange juice. I used 1 TBL butter softened and when spread on the warm cake created a glaze rather than a thick frosting. I found this to let the taste of the cake show through rather than the frosting. Yummy!
Feb 21, 2014
So good,and is thiferent
May 21, 2012
No comment left
Apr 8, 2012
I made this for a friend on their birthday and they loved it.. It is Easter and this was on the menu.. I will keep this receipt and make it over and over again.. thank you for Sharing it
Apr 8, 2012
I made this cake for a friends birthday and it was so good.. Today is Easter and I am making it again.. Thank you for sharing it is a family favorite now
Jan 12, 2012
No comment left