Lemon Lover’s Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice, zest and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat the sour cream and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat in lemon juice and zest. Drizzle over the cake. If desired, top with additional grated lemon zest. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 658 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Jul 7, 2020
Do you need to refrigerate?
Jun 5, 2020
My family loves this lemon cake. My daughter wants this always for her birthday in December Im a little late but its worth the wait.
May 24, 2020
Delicious! Everyone raved about how good it was!
May 17, 2020
Will someone please be able to help with how to lighten this cake up? 658 calories, 26g fat, 101g carbs, 76g sugars. Just typing this I got a cavity! Thank you!!
May 12, 2020
I made this cake a few weeks ago when we were first ordered to stay-at-home. It was delicious and my husband even liked it and he's not much of a lemon person. I made 3 other lemon cakes and this was by far our favorite. It's already in my personal recipe book. I read someone said t make 2 and freeze one and that's what I am going to do next time I make it. Thank You!
Apr 18, 2020
Tastes great, not too sweet like most lemon cakes I've tried. The icing recipe makes a lot. I had quite a bit left over
Apr 17, 2020
This cake is so dense and so tasty. My husband is not a dessert eater, but he couldn't stop eating this one! Will make again!
Apr 17, 2020
Like other reviewers, I greatly increased the amount of lemon zest - tripled it in the cake, doubled it in the icing and sprinkled however much was left (from two large lemons) on top. Other than that, I would not change a thing. Delicious! I ended up giving a bunch of it away the day after Easter, because it's way too much cake for a household of three. Everyone I shared it with agrees that this is a keeper recipe.
Apr 14, 2020
I made this for our Easter dessert. Just fabulous!
Apr 13, 2020
I made this cake for our Easter dessert and everyone cleaned their plate. Great lemon flavor!