Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sweetened whipped cream
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vinegar, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Line baking sheet with parchment. Spoon egg white mixture into 8 mounds on paper. Shape into cups with a spoon.
- Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and leave door closed; let shells dry in oven at least 1 hour. Remove shells from paper. When thoroughly cooled, store in an airtight container.
- For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and remaining sugar and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the lemon juice, zest and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- Just before serving, fill meringue shells with custard and top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 5, 2016
Egg yolks are mentioned in step 5 Onager.
Nov 6, 2010
Have made something similar to this and it was delicious. Think you missed listing the egg yolds in the custard. Onager
Jan 11, 2009
No comment left
Apr 26, 2008
No comment left