Lemon Chicken with Orzo
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour and garlic powder. Cut chicken into 1-1/2-in. pieces; pound each with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip both sides of chicken in flour mixture to coat lightly; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
- In same pan, bring broth to a boil; stir in orzo. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, lemon juice, basil and remaining salt; remove from heat. Return chicken to pan. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 399 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 9g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
May 28, 2020
This was absolutely delicious!!! My husband said a definite repeat recipe for sure! So I made a few enhancements: I toasted the orzo in skillet with 1/4 cup finely chopped onion in a bit of EVOO before adding orzo to the broth to cook... gives it a "toasty" flavor! I also took advice from another reviewer and added approx 1 tbsp lemon zest at the end. I also sprinkled on small amount of freshly shredded good parmesan cheese at the end. Shared recipe with my foodie family and friends! Will definitely make again, and soon!!!
Jan 5, 2020
Delicious, although I added another 1/2 cup of chicken broth once the rice was cooked and remaining ingredients were added to make sure it all stayed moist and the spinach would wilt. I will definitely make this dish again!
Oct 22, 2019
Really good, the only thing I substituted was the Orzo pasta and i put in Rotini pasta and it was Amazing :)
Oct 12, 2019
Delicious, thank you. I used a little additional stock, added some chopped yellow onions to the orzo, sprinkled in a little Aleppo pepper, and used the zest from the lemons too - all small additions to a lovely recipe.
May 6, 2019
We really loved this. It was so easy, and quick. Plus, I really loved the bright colors from the tomato and spinach, eye appeal is really important to me. Will definitely make this again!! VFE
Jan 13, 2019
Five Stars for this delicious meal. My husband and daughter really loved it. It is a keeper.
Dec 3, 2018
SO delicious! My husband enjoyed it so much and he is quite the critic! This is a new addition to our menu options!
Sep 28, 2018
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe and plan to make it again?
Jun 29, 2018
This was pretty good but I thought it took way too long to make the chicken. My 8
Oct 5, 2017
This is easy, fast and light. A nice quick dinner on a busy weeknight.