Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, butter and confectioners' sugar. Pat into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice and zest; beat until frothy. Pour over the crust. Bake 25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 263 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 4, 2020
Summer delight! Great for picnics and lemon themed bridal shower
May 10, 2020
Mouth watering recipe! The exact measurements left with a buttery, flaky, delicate crust and a delicious lemon flavor from the filling. I normally eat more tart desserts, but this broke that barrier! ( If you want a more tart filling I suggest adding less sugar and more zest and/or juice. *Make sure not to tweak it too much; the ratio is for a reason and there is a possibility it can fall apart* ) Overall, fantastic!
Apr 26, 2020
This is so good. My family loved them. A go to recipe in this family. It's family approved!
Apr 24, 2020
No comment left
Feb 4, 2020
Jan 25, 2020
Ive made this recipe TWICE. The first time the bars were sloppy and fell apart. A huge hot mess. Im very good at baking and following directions. Im also very good at measuring ingredients. I did nothing wrong. Yhe second time the bars fell as they cooled. The top had a crust and cracked. There were no holes in my shortbread. The filling layer was very thin. Im going to tey a sufferent recipe and see if I can master making lemon bars. No other recipe Ive found cooks filling for 25 mins. I think its too long filling too thin crust too thick.
Jan 19, 2020
Kate, the lemon zest comes from scraping the lemon peel, and yes, it does make a difference to the recipe. It heightens the taste of lemon! These bars are very good, I’ve made them several times over the years.
Dec 22, 2019
I’ve been making this recipe for past 25 years. It’s the best! A tip though is to double the crust and triple the lemon filling part of the recipe and use the larger size casserole dish. Original recipe doesn’t have enough lemon filling.
Jun 4, 2019
Was a hit at work and they tasted great!
May 21, 2019
Tried and didn't come out close not sure why I pre baked the crust first then poured the mixture over it and some of crust rose to the top of the liquid ?