Leeks au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + standing
- 6 medium leeks (white and pale green portion only)
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut off the root end and the tough leaf ends, then cut leeks lengthwise in half; cut halves crosswise into 3-in. pieces. Place cream, salt, pepper and leeks in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until top is golden and leeks are tender, 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 224 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 17, 2020
The recipe calls to add cheese, but there is no mention of what kind or how much of it. I don't personally mind experimenting, but it would be nice to know what the recipe intended.
Jul 13, 2019
This recipe is rich and craveable. I prepared it for July 4th and our guests loved it and requested it for their birthday party today. This is a great recipe just as it is. Now excuse me I have to prepare another batch!
Dec 20, 2018
OMG this is absolutely delicious - just as written. Leeks are a little milder than onions and this is a very sophisticated entre when paired with this simple cream sauce. SO easy to make. I served it with baked chicken thighs (skin on and seasoned with McCormick's poultry seasoning) and it was suitable for company. Would also be great with beef. I will be putting this in my regular rotation. Awesome.
May 8, 2018
Very good and simple to make. We actually liked it better the next day as the "custard" part was a bit thicker. It's a nice and different side dish.